Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Grass

South Carolina. Well, it's a very interesting place. It seems like a whole different world down here. I am used to Utah where pepole take pride in their community. Sure, there are some places that aren't so nice... heck, I lived next door to those cities! Taylorsville wasn't the best place in the whole world, but our quiet little corner of the apartment complex was just taht, quiet and comfortable. Sure, it was tiny, but we were used to it. At least in Utah people very happily plant and take care of SOD. Grass, real grass! What a concept. You know, for a desert, Utahns know how to make it look pretty and inviting. Out here people just "mow what grows" and call it grass. It's not grass!! It's weeds! It's ugly, dirty, scratchy weeds that have bugs everywhere in it. Plus, the kids can't just go outside and play. There are too many bugs that will eat them. So, needless to say, Maddi has felt a little cooped up. We have gone on a few walks and bike rides. We even found a house in our neighborhood on one of our walks that has real sod. REAL GRASS!! It's so pretty, I just want to go roll around on it! We have to walk past that house on every walk now :) We have gone to a couple of parks with Maddi, but the rain makes everything really dirty and run-down looking. Even my car is not liking the moisture... I found a spot on the back that is losing the finish. Sad! I'm also starting to get really sick of the trees... You can't see past them! The trees are so tall, and grow so dense that you feel claustrophobic. I loved that at first, with how green everything is and all, but now I am growing to hate them. You drive forever to get anywhere (Clinton feels like the middle of nowhere), and can only see trees the entire way. It's disorienting. I used to have the best sense of direction, and once I had been somewhere, I could always find my way back. NOT HERE! That's sure changed! For weeks I always thought that I-385 was taking me North, but nope! It's taking me West. I'm so turned around here!
I know it will just take some time to get used to it, and I will keep giving it a chance, but for now I'll just dream about home...

No comments: