On Wednesday afternoon, Kevin's grandmother passed away... It wasn't sudden, or unexpected, but sad nonetheless. She had battled cancer for several years, but fought hard to be healthy enough to care for her husband who's health was failing quickly. He passed away in October. She, unfortunately, has been declining ever since he passed. She was such an amazing lady. So incredibly gentle, kind, soft-spoken and sweet. She loved Pizza Hut pizza, and always fed us ice cream :) I was not an in-law, I was a Granddaughter. She was so accepting and loving, from the moment I joined the Hopes family. She only got to hold Maddi (her only great-grandchild) once, and see her twice. I feel just awful. She was in a rest home for 4 months, and I didn't go take Maddi and visit her until last week. I was worried about taking Maddi there for fear that she would catch something and get sick. I shouldn't have been so paranoid that I deprived Grandma Hopes of seeing Maddison.
But, I am happy we visited last Thursday, March 17th. I guess Grandma had not spoken a word all day, but as soon as she saw Maddi she brightened right up and started talking to her. It was so sweet! You could tell it just made her whole week. She asked about Maddi every time Kevin's dad went to visit her, and asked to see pictures all the time. I sent a picture of the 3 of us in the pool in California to Kevin's dad and he happened to be visiting Grandma at the time, so he showed her. Then, she said "tell them it has snowed a foot here." It hadn't. She just wanted to tease us :) It was cute!
We had a very small funeral with just family today to honor Grandma Hopes. She was dearly loved, as well as Grandpa was, and they both will be missed dearly. But, we are all very relieved that their suffering is over.
We love you Grandma and Grandpa Hopes!


2 comments:
sorry to hear that! Love you guys!
So sorry! I'm glad you got to go to the funeral
Post a Comment