I honestly cannot believe how fast my pregnancy is going by! It went slow at first, which was great, but now it's speeding up and I just feel like I'm about to hit a brick wall going 60 miles per hour! I still feel like I have so much to do, but only 3 weeks to do it! As of this Wednesday, I am 37 weeks. That means only 3 weeks to go! My doc said he wouldn't let me go over my due date because of the gestational diabetes, so if she doesn't come before November 10th, I will be induced.
So, as for the weekly update, she is now over 6 pounds and about 18 1/2 inches long! Woot! She's so big! And, I'm really feeling it in my skin... Maybe I should just go around with my belly exposed for Halloween, that would sure be scary! It is very grotesque looking. But, it's all worth it. I need to get my Halloween costume finalized and put together this week. It's going to be awesome :)
So, apparently I am a complete weirdo... I am not following the mode of a typical "labor plan" at all. But, I'm ok with that. I have never been a big fan of pitocin for inductions or of epidurals. I can't completely explain my rationale for these dislikes, I just don't like them. Being a medical professional and having worked in the labor and delivery area for a while, I have seen my fair share of positives and negatives of both things. And, having watched 3 out of 5 of my nieces and nephews being born, I am no stranger to the process of both epidurals and pitocin. And, since I was a lot younger and witnessed epidurals on my sisters, I just don't like them. I think part of my dislike of epidurals is the fear of a needle/catheter in my SPINE. Not cool. It just seems so easy (and it is, truly) to make a mistake and cause problems (which I have witnessed), even though the odds are so small of that happening. So, I am not going to be one of those women to show up at the hospital and demand my epidural pain relief. I am also truly curious... If women in other countries, and women here who want to hide the fact that they are pregnant and so go deliver in a bathroom and then cover up everything, can do it without seeming to notice the pain, why can't women here do it? Why have we become so dependent on pain relief, and so... what's the word... I don't know... I just don't understand. I have been reading a Hypnobirthing book this past weekend and it proposed some very interesting theories, and I want to talk to my doc this week about them to see how valid they really are. I think the few things that stood out to me the most were that if you are able to relax and allow your body to do what it needs to, the pain shouldn't be there. And, that the biggest reason for the pain is fear. Fear causes the blood vessels going to the muscles in the abdomen and uterus to constrict, which decreases blood flow and oxygen, increases the release of catecholamines and therefore causes pain. So, according to the book, that is where the pain comes from. So, if you are able to relax through it and focus on imagery and breathing techniques, you shouldn't feel the excruciating pain everyone says you will. I would like to see if this is really true, among other proposed theories... So, I am preparing myself for using the hypnobirthing method. HOWEVER, do not get me wrong, I am NOT opposed to getting an epidural. If I need one, I will get one. But, I would like to see how long I can go without one. Kevin seems to think I can do it without, and he will be a great coach for me, so we'll see. I am testing a theory on myself :) Wish me luck!
So, there you go... the cat's out of the bag... I am a weirdo.
The only frustrating thing with me wanting to do this, besides feeling too short on time to prepare, is how negative everyone has been that I have talked to about this desire. I have had nothing but opposition to my desire. Not that I should really care... but I do. It's discouraging. (Disclaimer: Please, do not be offended if you and I have talked about it, I am NOT pointing anyone out in particular, I am just venting my feelings). I know for a fact that every woman is different and experiences things differently, so who's to say I can't do it? Maybe I'll just prove everyone wrong :) I'd be ok with that.
Well, to wrap it all up, I just have to say how darn cute my hubby is. He says every day, several times, how much he "loves this baby" and how he just needs her and needs her to come now. It's so cute! He also has very elaborate plans to induce my labor on October 27th... wish him luck! I work that day, so I'll make sure I get a sick patient that is really busy so I'm on my feet a lot, then we'll go to the Porcupine Pub and get Hellfire hotwings, then I am apparently going to go home and vacuum for 2 hours, drink raspberry tea, and one other thing... not to be mentioned here :) And, to tell you the truth, I am finally ready for the end. I am not miserable and just anxious to be done, but I am ready to meet my baby. I am ready to finally know what that motherly bond feels like, and to see my sweet baby. Finally, I feel ready. So, come what may! We are technically full term on Wednesday!


4 comments:
My sister-in-law did hypnobirthing and loved it. I was enduced and after a few hours of killer back labor, I was ready for the drugs. I can totally see the fear element in it though. I say, Go for it! The more natural, the better in my opinion. Hope the next few very pregnant weeks go fast, and that you have a great labor and delivery of a healthy precious baby.
I can't believe how fast time flies! You are going to be a mom is 3 weeks or less! I am so happy for you guys! I wouldn't worry about what anyone says! The birth of a baby is such a magical thing. You and Kevin will always remember the moment you little babe makes her first appearance! You must keep us informed on how the hypnobirthing goes. Maybe we will try it when baby #2 comes! I still havn't found the vibrating thingy, but we are going to clean the garage tonight!
I had Cody without any drugs at all. Quite honestly it was because by the time I asked for them, it was too late to give them to me! But he was so alert when he was born (after 17 1/2 hours of HARD labor) that it was worth it. Unfortunately the other 3 were C-section- 2 emergency (breech) and one planned (because of the other 2). And as far as being ready- I don't think you are EVER really ready-no matter what! And it won't matter- you really have what you need- you and Kevin and how much you will love her. She has something to wear, something to eat, something to sleep in and something to bring her home from the hospital in- everything else can be done later! We are anxious to meet this little missy! Love you! Aunt Robyn
Good luck with the hypnobirthing! I wouldn't worry too much about what other people say! A lot of people just can't understand why you'd want to try and go without drugs but in the end it's not their decision. :) You can do it! My mom had all five of us kids with absolutely no drugs and she was on pitocin and everything with my younger sister so I know it can be done!
Post a Comment