Wow, I am a little behind on posting!! Whoops. Life happens :)
So, first things first, updated belly photos!
And now for the updates:
So my baby is now about 3.75 pounds and almost 17 inches long!! Holy cow! It's amazing that truly, she is almost there. It's a little freaky, too. I was thinking about it today and realized that I really only have about a month and a half left. SCARY. I had a small freak out moment when I realized this. I have to so much to do and so much mental preparation that I am now feeling short on time. We still need to finish the baby room, put together the furniture and do a MAJOR scrubdown of our apartment. Then, after we have our showers, we'll still need to go buy the rest of the stuff we need. Man, there sure is a lot that goes in to having a baby these days! Good thing I have 2 sisters with so many hand-me-downs for me... Life saver.
So, we (well, I am) are still undecided on a name. I think I just want to see her first before I decide. We have a few picked out, but I just don't know which one to choose. It's a big decision for me. Kevin is decided, but I'm not. And he said I am the one who gets to choose since I've had to do all the hard work to get her here. (He's so sweet).
In other news, our little squirt is moving a TON! It's so much fun! You can actually see my belly change shapes and morph as she wiggles. I am yet to record it, but I will soon. Her kicks are a lot stronger now and I am starting to feel her in my ribs (yikes). I am still able to sleep through it, though. Luckily! I have a feeling that might change in the coming weeks.
Alright, so I do have another update... I was officially diagnosed with gestational diabetes just over a week ago. I'm rather shocked and very disappointed. I honestly don't have the risk factors for it, so I'm having a hard time understanding why it happened to me. My sisters didn't get it, neither did my mom, aunts or grandmothers. And, I've been a runner and thanks to my amazing husband, I eat fairly healthy. For real? Why me then? So what this means now is that I have a glucometer and have to check my blood glucose levels four times a day. I also have to drastically change my diet. I met with the dietician on Monday for diabetes counseling and it went well. Once I got home and really dug into my new lifestyle though, it really started sucking. I am VERY limited on carbs. I can't just have a piece of toast anymore when I'm hungry. I also can't just grab some fruit, or have a bowl of cereal. Not going to lie... those are the only things I've been craving for my whole pregnancy. And ice cream. And, since sweets are an absolute no-no, there goes that one too. I had a breakdown the other morning and cried to Kevin that I couldn't have a bowl of cereal and fruit or a pancake for breakfast. Breakfast has always been my food love-affair and now it sucks. I really need to just eat vegetables and proteins for the rest of my pregnancy. But, the dietician taught that as long as you count your carbs appropriately and make sure you combine them on a 2:1 ratio with proteins, you won't spike your glucose levels because of the way the body breaks them down when eaten together. So, according to her, I can still eat what I want, I just need to be more careful, more label conscious and make sure I pair them. Well, I still had a few high levels on my daily glucose checks, so I don't know that that plan is working for me. I'll have to go back to strict veggies and proteins with the occasional carb as a treat. Oh yay. But, I'm willing to do it for the health of my baby. If my sugars are consistently out of control, she will end up being overloaded with glucose. This will make her grow rapidly and huge, but can also stunt her lung development. Which means I would have to deliver a HUGE fat baby, that may have respiratory distress and need to spend time in the NICU. It also means that her glucose levels could be dangerously low when she's born since her body is so used to having excess glucose from me. scary. So, I'm not messing around with this. And, if anyone happens to have any awesome diabetic recipes they want to share, send them my way!
Other than that, the pregnancy is going wonderfully and I am still loving it. And, as freaked out as I might be about being a parent, I truly cannot wait to meet my sweet little baby. I cannot wait to see what she looks like and to just love her more than anything in this world. And, I can't wait to start this sweet chapter of life with the love of my whole world, my amazing husband.


2 comments:
Still love your cute belly!!! So sorry again about the diabetes.
Whitney, you are the cutest pregnant lady I have ever seen. You will probably lose this title when Lindsey is pregnant but for now you are #1! Don't tell Lindsey but you two make me jealous. I can't wait until it is our turn to have lil Blakelys and Lindseys. Miss you!
Post a Comment